Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:21:01 +0100

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:46:07 +0100
Danilo Segan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can you
> provide an example of when goto-line couldn't be replaced with a
> better functionality (such as using M-x next-error)?

Some people, like me, doesn't do everything inside Emacs. I rarely, if
ever, use compile.el (I prefer to compile outside Emacs and search for
bugs the old way). Also, I compare sources with a visual tool and then
go to Emacs to edit, if needed. In these cases, M-x goto-line is very
useful (in fact, I bound it to H-S-left long time ago).

Also, I often process large files with Perl, get errors, and I have to
edit the file by hand, fix some formatting issue, and reprocess. M-x
goto-line is very handy for that.

> FWIW, C-x ` is bound to next-error, and it's a big win in situations
> like this.

C-x ` SPC (four keystrokes) is not comfortable to me.

> I seldom use current M-g binding as well, but not less than M-x
> goto-line.

Jari's saying he's got the feeling that you're in the minority here.
FWIW, I'd agree. I'm certainly in the "use goto-line every day, *never*
had to use 'set face default'" camp.

                                                                Juanma