Re: bug in frame-width

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bug in frame-width
Date: 12 Aug 2004 23:57:19 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > And actually, I want my Emacs windows typically to be 80 characters
> > wide and about 740 pixels tall.  And when I change the font size, I
> > still want them 80 characters wide and 740 pixels tall.
>
> I second that.  When changing the number of columns lines may wrap at
> different places which can be distracting.  When changing the number of
> lines the only change is how many lines are visible towards the bottom,
> which has much less visible effect.  (The situation is somewhat different
> if you have mutiple windows.)

Well, my point was that we don't need any inconsistencies if we can
come up with a scheme where you may specify your geometry in terms of
characters _or_ pixels.  Let's say, something stupid like unsigned
numbers are in characters, signed numbers are in pixels.

Then my desired geometry would be 80x+740, and a fullscreen mode
something like +1020x+740.  And negative numbers mean to take the
complete available dimension of the screen and leave the specified
free areas, so that 80x-40 would be 80 columns, and the whole vertical
area minus 40 pixels.

Pixels include everything in the window, characters not.  For symmetry
with text terminals, I'd say that the mode line and the
minibuffer/message line count as one line each when we are talking
about lines.  Menu line?  No idea.  It _does_ take space in a text
terminal, too.