Re: info faces for strings and quotations

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: info faces for strings and quotations
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:07:43 +0000 (UTC)

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Wed, 2004 Oct  6  16:05 UTC
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.10)

in which info.el is patched from Drew's message of Wed, 6 Oct 2004
00:40:07 -0700

started with

    /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q

The Info buffer fails to highlight properly when the Info file is
produced from a correct Texinfo source.

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:

    I did find the following highlighting problems in all the 33
    manuals I checked.

Regarding the `Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp',
you mentioned

        -- a few nodes, such as Height of label: sexp with ' inside
        `...': `(apply 'max numbers-list)'

The regexp failed even though the Texinfo is correct.  In Info, we see
this:

    expression is `(apply 'max numbers-list)'.  This returns the precise

Using the patch, only `apply' is highlighted.  The Texinfo source is
...emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi and is:

    expression is @code{(apply 'max numbers-list)}.  This returns the

In addition to the three cases of @code{(apply 'max numbers-list)}, I
found nine other case where @code is used with quoted Emacs Lisp
expressions.

There are also problems with @samp, which also puts single quotes
around its arguments, as in

    The error message can be understood: `Symbol's function definition
    is void: this'.

Only `Symbol' is highlighted.  In Texinfo, this is written:

    The error message can be understood: @samp{Symbol's function
    definition is void:@: this}.

There are six other @samp problems that I found.

--