Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars p

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars present
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:10:44 -0400

    It would be much better if we could find a way to just drag the
    scroll-bar.

Dragging in the scroll bar has another meaning.

    One way would be to always make a tiny area between windows that you
    could drag.  But unless we do it by reducing the qscroll bar width,
    that would take away space that is now used for text display.

We DID have a tiny area, at the bottom of the scroll bar.  Drew is
complaining that we got rid of it.  It is much easier to use a square
than a very thin rectangle.  It is hard to put the mouse on the
latter.

    It is much harder (impossible) to make a drag-able area to the right
    of the modeline, as there is no fixed right edge of the modeline at the
    lisp level [the modeline is simply truncated by redisplay].

It would be hard to do it at the right using mode-line-format.
It would be easy to add a new feature that would override part
of the mode line at the right when appropriate.