Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:03:41 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   They may be trivial to implement, but if you're talking about the
   ones that we discussed, they get rid of a useful feature.

Which feature?  After my proposed change, .?.uu and .*.uu would still
do exactly the same thing they do now.  My proposed change just
exploits the fact that .''?''.uu and .''*''.uu are currently useless
synonyms for the two simpler expressions.  After my patch you can
cause expansion by surrounding ? or * on both sides by whitespace _or_
two single-quotes.

So:

prepends . and appends .uu to the names of all marked files.

This _adds_ a feature and gets rid of none.  It does this without
making using wildcards less convenient, unlike the more difficult to
implement feature.

Sincerely,

Luc.