Re: Syncing Gnus with Emacs and back

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus with Emacs and back
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:51:28 -0400

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 10:21:42PM +0200, Reiner Steib wrote:
> BTW, a disadvantage of the arch syncing is that e.g. in the cvs log of
> texi/gnus-faq.texi we get the following:
> It would be nice if the original log message could be included.

A pretty basic constraint though is that all the files have to have the same
log message (it's a changeset log, not a file change log).  Furthermore it's
probably not practical to base this on CVS log messages[*].

However I've had pretty good success using "ChangeLog-changes" for this
purpose when generating log messages for emacs.  ChangeLog-changes are the
additions to all ChangeLogs, i.e., do a diff of all ChangeLogs, look for "+"
lines, and tweak them to be prettier -- it basically ends up looking like a
big ChangeLog entry for all files in the changeset.

[*] Several reasons: (1) CVS makes it quite difficult to retrieve the precise
log messages corresponding to an update, and (2) The CVS log messages for all
changed files would have to be combined, and getting a usable (not ugly and
bloated) result from this doesn't look at all easy given the typically
inconsistent log messages people use.

-Miles
--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson