Re: New mail-related routines

From: Alexander Pohoyda
Subject: Re: New mail-related routines
Date: 19 Oct 2004 19:47:18 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> > +;;; The -hf suffix means Header Field.
>
> IIRC, the coding conventions (in Emacs Lisp) say not to abbreviate
> function and variable names.

I have no problems with that.  If required, I will expand all names.

> > +(defun mail-unfold-region (from to)
> > +  "Unfold header fields in the region between FROM and TO,
> > +as defined by RFC 2822."
> [...]
> > +   (while (re-search-forward
> > +           (format "%s%s+" mail-crlf-regexp mail-wsp-regexp) nil t)
> > +     (replace-match " " nil t))))))
>
> I didn't look at the other functions, but this one is incorrect,
> AFAICS:

Yes, you're right, the function does not conform strictly.  However,
many MUAs insert either TAB or few SPACE characters during header
field folding, so this kind of "loose" unfolding is also desired, I
think.  I'll add an optional argument to control this behaviour.

>                                               The result with
> `rfc2047-unfold-region' is correct:

Funny that the RFC 2047 itself does not define header field
folding/unfolding, so rfc2047-unfold-region is rather confusing name
for this function.

However, let's talk about RFC 2047 functions later :-)

Thank you very much for your comments!

--
Alexander Pohoyda <address@hidden>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44