Re: New mail-related routines

From: Alexander Pohoyda
Subject: Re: New mail-related routines
Date: 26 Oct 2004 00:15:54 +0200

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there an updated version of your patch to review?  I think I agree
> with all comments raised so far.  It would be easier to review your
> code if there is an updated version to look at.

I'll post an updated version soon.  Meanwhile, I have realized that
some function from my patch are not as general as I wanted them to
be, so they don't belong into mail-utils.el file.

> I think it is important to improve documentation regarding these new
> functions.  Right now, similar functions are implemented many times in
> many places in Emacs.  It would be good if these could be fixed to use
> only one correct implementation.  If there is no guidance, people will
> just write new functions for the same purpose again, or use one of the
> existing but inelegant interfaces.

Yes, absolutely.  I hope we will agree on some "correct
implementation" so that we have something to document and use.

> Perhaps a new texinfo manual could be created, "Emacs Lisp Mail
> Functions" (or something), to document the recommended mail APIs to
> use in Emacs Lisp.  It should be in a non-MUA specific (Gnus, RMAIL
> etc) way.  Perhaps extending emacs-mime.texi is the right thing, it
> already contain some non-MIME, but generic purpose mail functions.

Yes, I have this in my TODO list.

Thank you very much for your input!

--
Alexander Pohoyda <address@hidden>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44