Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:42:13 +0200

Hi Lennard, Kim,

"Lennart Borgman" writes:
> 3) Addpm.exe should perhaps only add emacs_dir to the registry? Are
> the other values really used?

Isn't the opposite the case?  When "emacs_dir" is not set it is
automatically replaced with a generated value.  I had to remove it to
be able to switch between production and development versions easily.

The other pseudo-variables still make sense.  Or are they replaced by
Windows-specific initializations in the Emacs code itself by now?
(Note that I am not saying that I would like that, just that I didn't
investigate if it was the case.)

Kim F. Storm writes:
> Once you have started emacs (from the start menu), what business do
> you have outside emacs (i.e. in Windoze land)?

;-)

> Sure, we should include a version of emacsclient which works with
> emacs' new internal emacsserver -- today I guess it will work fine
> with sockets (rather than mailslots which IIRC gnuserv uses).

I think we should keep in mind that sockets do tend to cause grief
with personal firewalls.  Mailslots are not portable but they are in
effect more user-friendly and so reduce the need for support.

benny