Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:15:11 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Riefenstahl" <address@hidden>

: "Lennart Borgman" writes:
: > 3) Addpm.exe should perhaps only add emacs_dir to the registry? Are
: > the other values really used?
:
: Isn't the opposite the case?  When "emacs_dir" is not set it is
: automatically replaced with a generated value.  I had to remove it to
: be able to switch between production and development versions easily.

Gnuclientw.exe looks for emacs_dir in the registry.

: The other pseudo-variables still make sense.  Or are they replaced by
: Windows-specific initializations in the Emacs code itself by now?

The installation says that the registry values are not needed any more. It
seems to be true, except for that gnuclientw.exe needs it.

: I think we should keep in mind that sockets do tend to cause grief
: with personal firewalls.  Mailslots are not portable but they are in
: effect more user-friendly and so reduce the need for support.

Could you please explain a bit more? I believe this is a serous issue since
many corporate portable pc:s will have personal firewalls. The ms docs for
mailslots says that this could be used between pc:s. Why is not the
firewalls involved there? It seems like it is not, but I am not sure why. Is
it some kind of bypassing of the network of both client and server are on
the some pc?

Unfortunately the old mailslot version does not have the -e switch for
executing lisp code which I mentioned in another message.

- Lennart