Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:41:06 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 02:13:55PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> I'm not sure it is a good idea to add encrypt.el and the related fixes
>> in netrc.el, pgg*, and other files to Gnus 5.10.  They are not really
>> tested in deployed user situations.  However, I believe it make sense
>> to add them both to Gnus CVS HEAD and Emacs CVS HEAD.
>>
>> Perhaps it is possible to set up a synchronization gateway between
>> Gnus CVS HEAD and Emacs CVS HEAD for some files?  I think this would
>> make more sense, both in the short term and the long term.
>
> That sounds far too complicated.
>
> I don't think Emacs changes are generally much of a threat, so I'd keep
> things as they are unless it actually proves to be a problem.

Installing password.el will hopefully lead to several changes in Gnus.
We could make imap.el, sieve*.el, pgg*.el, nntp.el, pop3.el (?),
canlock (?), smime.el (?), webmail.el (?), mail-source.el (?), all use
the new password interface in password.el.

It is stretching to definition of "bug fixes" to apply the same
changes to Gnus 5.10.

However, maybe you are right, and we should not update Gnus in Emacs
to use password.el just yet.  Instead, we should fix this in Gnus CVS
HEAD, and then Emacs CVS wait for Gnus 5.13 to get the stable version
of these patches.

On the third hand, perhaps Gnus 5.13 will happen before the next major
Emacs release?  I'm not sure what the plan is.