Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:26:16 +0200

>     I agree, if you mean that we shouldn't change _Gnus related_ files, in
>     Emacs, to use password.el.  Those changes could go into Gnus CVS.  I
>     think it may be useful to change some other Emacs packages, like
>     telnet.el, though.
>
> If we make read-passwd use password.el, then the other parts of
> Emacs will use it without being individually changed.
>
> If everything else in Emacs uses password.el, we should probably
> change Gnus in Emacs to use password.el too.  Why should it be
> the only thing left out?
>
> This isn't the time for new features, and perhaps is not the right
> time for this (though installing this file is not quite a new
> feature).  However, now that the file is installed, we may as well
> make read-passwd use it.

By "make read-passwd use it", do you mean that read-passwd itself
should be extended to support the caching mechanism?  Right now,
read-passwd has not been changed; instead password-read act as a
wrapper around read-passwd that add the cache mechanism.  But it may
be cleaner to add a new optional parameter to read-passwd, so the
cache is integrated better, and there are fewer interfaces.

Earlier, I got the impression that we should move read-passwd from
subr.el to password.el, not change it, which is what I did.

I think I agree with Stefan that changing too many places in Emacs to
use password.el is a bit late.  If I knew we were in a feature freeze,
I wouldn't have proposed these things.