Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:09:36 -0400

    That second line is redundant.  The `N' code character already _gives_ the
    numeric value.

The documentation of `interactive' says that N can return the raw
prefix arg, which is not necessarily numeric.  However, I checked the
code in callint.c, and `N' actually returns the numeric prefix
argument, if there is a prefix.

So your fix to indent.el is correct, but we have uncovered
a different bug.

Since the Lisp manual agrees with the code, I will fix the doc string
of `interactive'.