Re: Patch: new function process-file (call-process with file handlers)

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Patch: new function process-file (call-process with file handlers)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:22:45 -0500 (CDT)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

   Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

   > I would guess that process-file has to handle a nil value for INFILE
   > in exactly the same way that call-process does:

   Ah, yes, Tramp should handle INFILE being nil.  I think it doesn't do
   that, yet.

I am not completely sure about that any more.  Maybe it can just let
`call-process' handle it.

But did you see the patch proposed on emacs-pretest-bug?  (Not in the
archives yet.)  I could forward it privately, if you do not read
emacs-pretest-bug.  I am going to test it right now.

But _at first sight_ it might also seem good if process-file saved the
return value of the call to call-process and returned it.  That would
make it more similar to `call-process'.  (Assuming that I am not
misunderstanding something, which might quite well be the case.)

Sincerely,

Luc.