Re: New files url.texi and org.texi

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: New files url.texi and org.texi
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:14:52 +0000

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a reason why all the standard things that need to be done to
> make a new .info file show up in the user's dir have not been done for
> the new files url.texi and org.texi?

I can't answer that, but the URL manual may not be in a sufficiently
useful state to get installed -- as in installed for users, rather
than in CVS.  It's a long time since I did anything with it, but if I
remember correctly, it's mostly placeholders unless someone has worked
on it since.

> Two @xref's to emacs-mime need to be replaced with @inforef's or we
> get, in the hardcopy output:
>
> See <undefined> [(emacs-mime)Top], page <undefined>.

It shouldn't be replaced, according to my reading of the Texinfo
manual; there clearly could be a printed copy of the MIME manual if
there's one for URL.  I think the xrefs just need fixing.  I probably
wrote them, and I suspect it wasn't clear how to fill in all the
fields.  I suspect there were incompatible versions of emacs-mime.texi
around at the time.

By the way, I think that the emacs-mime manual to which it refers
needs work.  If I remember correctly, it mixes up library and
user-level features, and doesn't document some of the features that
URL, for instance, needs.