Re: New files url.texi and org.texi

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: New files url.texi and org.texi
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:29:13 +0000

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Are there _published_ printed versions of the MIME and URL manuals
> available?  To me, @xref would suggest that there are.

I don't understand why.

> The user can always produce hardcopy _himself_ using texi2dvi.
> (Which is one of the reasons why we care about hardcopy even if
> there is no published manual.)

Of course, but I've no idea why that means you shouldn't use
@{x,px,}ref.  I'm pretty sure I confirmed with rms that external
references should use the five-arg version of the @*ref commands when
I was linking the extra manuals from the Emacs manual.

> As I see it, @inforef means that there is no published
> manual, so we refer to the info file.

That's not what the manual says about it, and as it refers to an
Info-only file, it isn't appropriate if you're producing HTML manuals.
(I assume @inforef was intended for stuff that wasn't produced from
Texinfo source.)