Re: query-replace highlighting

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: query-replace highlighting
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:58:17 -0500

    > This seems like a good feature.  However, it is inconsistent
    > to control it by giving query-replace-highlight a third possible value.

    I retained the value t for users who wish to use old highlighting
    method with from-string highlighted in `region' face.

Maybe we're not talking about the same question.  My point is that I
don't like the interface that you proposed (and installed) for the
values of query-replace-highlight.

    But what about isearch-lazy-highlight-face?  To create a duplicate
    query-replace-lazy-highlight-face, or to rename
    isearch-lazy-highlight-face to lazy-highlight-face?

Let's rename it to lazy-highlight-face.  Thanks.

    As I see it the question is about four options:

    isearch-lazy-highlight-cleanup
    isearch-lazy-highlight-initial-delay
    isearch-lazy-highlight-interval
    isearch-lazy-highlight-max-at-a-time

    I am not sure if renaming them is the good thing.

I am not sure if installing the feature without renaming
them is a good thing.

    What is the benefit of renaming these options if all internal
    functions and variables retain the old names?

The benefit of renaming these options is to give them names that fit
their meaning.

Renaming the internal functions and variables is a separate question.
Perhaps it is a good idea to rename them too.  This is a less
important question, because it is merely an internal question.
So it can wait until we've decided the external one.