RE: Face color changes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Face color changes
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:16:35 -0800

Yes, now is not the time.
Yes, the vanilla Emacs colors are often less than ideal for many
backgrounds.
Yes, it's difficult to find color heuristics that please most users on most
displays most of the time.

For after the release: I'd like to see trials of a third setting, for medium
backgrounds.

I use light backgrounds (LightBlue, LightSteelBlue, PaleGoldenrod, Thistle,
LavenderBlush2), but in fact many "light" backgrounds work with both 1)
faces that are lighter (but a different color) and 2) faces that are
darker - they act effectively as "medium" backgrounds. In any case, I've
never been able to take advantage of either the "light" or "dark" background
settings. I'm one of those "sort of users [who] customized their faces long
ago".

To me, the most important thing is the ease of customizing. I've seen users
making do with atrociously unreadable faces, just because they didn't want
to bother figuring out how to change them. I don't know if there is an easy
solution, but the problem is a real one.

 - Drew