Re: Face color changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Face color changes
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:49:19 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:44:56 -0800
>
> Some people are just loathe to customize, are intimidated by it, cannot
> figure out how to start, or are too lazy to try. We should make it as easy
> as possible, but there will always be some who don't get it.

But Customize _is_ supposed to be ``as easy as possible''.  It was
added to Emacs to help users customize their session without resorting
to Lisp and obscure data structures.

In the message to which I replied you said:

> To me, the most important thing is the ease of customizing. I've seen users
> making do with atrociously unreadable faces, just because they didn't want
> to bother figuring out how to change them. I don't know if there is an easy
> solution, but the problem is a real one.

That sounded like you were saying that no solution to the problem of
customizing faces existed at this time.  Now it sounds like you are
saying that there is a solution, but people either loathe it, are
intimidated by it, or are too lazy to try it.  I'm confused: what
issue are we discussing and what is the point you wish to make?

> Heuristics to deal with light and dark (and perhaps medium) backgrounds are
> a real help in this regard: there is less to customize. Coming up with
> heuristics that work well in more cases is not easy, but would be helpful.
> In this regard, I think Juri is making a good start.

The dark and light backgrounds exist in Emacs for a long time, as do
separate default colors for each case; Juri didn't invent that.  What
Juri suggested is to change the definition of light and dark for a
small portion of the colors, that's all.  I don't see how this can
ever remove the need for customizing colors.  In my experience, color
selection is very personal, akin to taste.