Re: Face color changes

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Face color changes
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:04:08 +0200

>> In `custom-set-faces' it loses all conditions from the face
>> definition except the current one.  This means that saved faces are
>> the same on different environments.
>
> I think this is by design.  To make it behave differently, we need
> first to design the desired result.  What would you like it to do,
> exactly? modify only the definition that corresponds to the current
> background mode, number of colors, display type, etc., and leave the
> other definitions intact?

Exactly.

> In general, Customize does not support customizations that are
> portable across environments and/or platforms.  E.g., if you customize
> something on Windows, the result is not conditioned by the appropriate
> value of system-type.  Isn't the issue you raise similar?

No, the issue I raised concerns only conditions of the face
definition.  All conditions should be preserved with changes
made only in the condition for the current environment.
This would allow not only to keep conditions for other environments
in the saved face, but also to customize them independently
on different environments (most frequently switched of which are
light and dark backgrounds, where such improvement will be most useful).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/