Re: RMAIL slows

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: RMAIL slows
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 15:46:09 -0400

    I put a breakpoint in `adjust_markers_for_delete' and looped at least 8
    times.

Well, this suggests it is a matter of the number of markers.
I suggest you look at the chain of markers

      for (m = BUF_MARKERS (current_buffer); m; m = m->next)

and see how long it is.  (You could do that by setting a breakpoint
in the loop that silently executes a command such as
  set $count++
and setting $count to 0 before the loop.  At the end of the loop
you can examine $count.)

If the problem is due to an accumulation of markers, the question is
why.  The markers clearly are not dead, or they'd be GC'd.  They must
be used in some data structure.  If you can determine what structure,
we could fix this.

Maybe the only way to find it is to look thru rmail to see what makes
markers and puts them into data structures.