Re: font-lock-comment-delimiter-face

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 22:50:21 +0200

>>> FWIW, me too.
>>
>> AOL
>
> FWIW[0], I completely, entirely, and totally agree.

I think comments look better when the delimiters appear in a slightly
more washed-out color.  Having the delimiters and text in completely
different colors is just distracting, but I find a slight difference
in color actually helps me focus on the text.

It's not a big deal, but I just wanted to mention that while the
current implementation may be lacking, I don't think there's anything
wrong with the idea.  (Though as Richard has been saying, it would be
cleaner to instead add `font-lock-comment-text-face'.)

I don't think the feature is trivial, and it is currently very rough.
For example, it would be nice to have comments such as the following
be fontified in the expected way:

/*
 * foobarbaz.c --- do that stuff with the thing
 *
 * This file is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published
 * by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License,
 * or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * [...]
 */

I understand the people who think that the best thing to do for now is
to rename the face to refer to mail specifically and ``stop the
madness about comment delimiters,'' as Stefan put it.  This feature
can wait until after the release.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>