Re: Should overlays evaporate by default?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Should overlays evaporate by default?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 20:25:27 -0400

    We do "pretesting" all the time with CVS emacs -- there are
    many ordinary users using it already for everyday work.

It is not the same.  A different and larger group of people will start
trying a wider range of Lisp packages when we start formal pretest.
We will find bugs then that have not been noticed hitherto.

    > Why postpone this till the pretest of the subsequent version?

    Because it will delay releasing 22.x.

It would cause a delay to the extent that the work necessary to fix
the code would take some time.  It is not clear to me that it is
better for that time to occur later than now.  But if no one wants to
do this work, then the question is moot.

I am not sure this thing is really the right thing to do, at any time.
It could be more trouble than it is worth, and we might prefer just
to find the things that fail to reclaim their overlays.