Re: unexec

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: unexec
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:44:03 +0200

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 12:08:16AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> This item in FOR-RELEASE
>
>   ** Make unexec handle memory mapping policy of the latest versions of Linux.
>
> is nontrivial, but probably not deeply difficult for someone who would
> be willing to read the relevant documentation.  It is very important.

While thinking that this is indeed important, I just want to point out
that this is not a general problem with the Linux Kernel.  Exec-shield
which causes this problem is _not_ part of the standard vanilla Linux
Kernel -- it is only part of the later RedHat Systems like Fedora and
RHE-3.  I'm not sure if there are any other GNU/Linux Distribution
which use KErnels with Exec-shield by default...

cheers sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Life's too short to read boring signatures