Re: Default custom group

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Default custom group
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:56:55 +0900

> While cleaning up etc/NEWS I was reminded that the feature
> if the default group in defcustom is new in this release.
> I have never been happy with this default, and the best time
> to change things is now, before we make a release with it.

> So I just made the byte compiler warn whenever a custom definition
> fails to specify a group.

> At some time in the future we should make them get errors at
> run time if they don't specify a group, but not right away.

> This default feature was not documented in the Lisp Manual,
> so I had no change to make there.

I got many warnings when compiling Gnus.  For instance:

smime.el:123:1:Warning: defgroup for `smime' fails to specify containing group

I think there might be customization groups which don't belong
to any parent groups except `emacs'.  Although it is possible to
avoid warnings by adding the ``:group 'emacs'' parameters, I
don't think it is useful especially for `defgroup'.