Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:09:05 +0300

> From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:36:19 -0400
>
>     I was talking about user-level features and the User's Manual, not the
>     Lisp Manual.
>
> The appendix that is suggested does not belong in the Emacs Manual.

Why not, if it describes user-level features?

> There already is a section on Windows usage in the Emacs Manual.

No, there's an appendix called "MS-DOS" which describes mostly the DOS
port and a small number of Windows related issues.

> But
> it is not the mission of the Emacs Manual to "describe all those
> w32-SOMETHING functions and variables", any more than it is its mission
> to describe all the functions and variables that are NOT specifically
> for Windows.
>
> In nearly every aspect of Emacs, _completeness is not the goal_.

This is not about completeness in any sense; perhaps the word "all" in
"all those w32-SOMETHING functions" misled you to think that is what I
was asking for.  It isn't.  There's a large number of issues specific
to using Emacs on Windows that is not explained anywhere in the Emacs
Manual.  Some of the w32-SOMETHING functions and variables should be
made known to Emacs users because they provide essential features
without which some users would be simply lost.  In addition, there are
quite a few Windows-specific issues not related directly to any
function or variable that should also be available in the manual.