Re: rcirc.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: rcirc.el
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:43:08 -0400

>> I think it's best if the packages keep their names when they get
>> integrated, unless the name poses a real problem

> I do think that users should be able to start an irc session with M-x
> irc.  We can do that without renaming everything.

We can provide an `irc' alias without any problem, indeed.  It doesn't have
much to do with renaming or not.

> I think it depends a lot on exactly what the name is, and the
> package's history.

Sure.  Since IIUC there are other IRC clients for Emacs out there, it makes
sense to be careful.  Maybe none of them already use the name `irc', but you
never know.  Furthermore, even without a long history, it
introduces confusion.

> But for packages with no significant independent history, which
> perform a fairly generic function in "the obvious way", calling every
> function "joes-great-foo-mode-asdf" instead of just "foo-asdf" is
> simply noise.

We're talking "rcirc" vs "irc".  We're not talking some insanely long names.

        Stefan