Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:49:46 -0400

    One possible problem is that po files can have more than 1024 bytes of
    comments before the header info block.  I see fileio.c
    Finsert_file_contents only grabs 1024 bytes before calling
    set-auto-coding, but I can't tell if/when that happens.

I think it ALWAYS happens.  Every call to Finsert_file_contents will
try to determine the coding system from the first 1k and last 3k of
the file.  (Unless it already knows the coding system to use.)

      I think a
    normal visit or an `archive-extract' has the whole file, so they work.

If Finsert_file_contents can't determine the coding system from that
part of the file, then if it is a normal visit (or if the buffer was
previously empty), it will try again after reading all the file.  So I
guess this will work ok in that case.

But if it is inserting the file into a buffer that had other text in
it, or if it is inserting just part of the file, I think it won't
work.

To make it work reliably, therefore, I think the
Vset_auto_coding_function function has to look at more of the file.
If it is looking at a po file, it should do that.

This should not be too hard, since it gets the file name as an argument.