Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:47:47 +0200

> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:29:35 +0000
>
> describe-bindings separates the different groups with  ^L even though
> the text that is output is intended to be human-readable.

The ^L is there so that one could use forward-page to quickly move to
the next group.

> Isn't there a nicer way the groups can be separated?

We could use overlays to display the ^L as something more visually
appealing, while leaving ^L in the buffer.

> I also get a long list with latin key characters that are bound to
> encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl.

I think this is a bug.

> As a novice user when trying out the describe-bindings function, I
> would see that there is a lot of uninteresting technical stuff at the
> beginning

Please be more specific: what uninteresting technical stuff is there
at the beginning that you want to remove?

> Lastly, I was wondering if one could use a better name for the menu
> item.
> "List Key Bindings" is of course perfectly correct from an Emacs
> terminology point of view. But as a new user, I would be looking for
> something like "Keyboard Functions" or "Keyboard Shortcuts" or so,
> not for "Bindings".

We could modify the help echo string to mention "shortcuts".  I don't
think the name of the menu item itself should change, since this is
Emacs terminology, and newbies need to learn it as fast as possible.

> The Help menu is really important and useful to newbies. It would be
> very helpful if one could make it easier to understand.

That is the goal, yes.  But given the limited real estate in the
menus, we need to compromise.

> --Apple-Mail-17-876036934

Could you please drop this signature stuff?  It's very long and thus
annoying.  TIA.