Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:33:50 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:39:08 +0000
>
> Menus are not always inside frames. On my machine, they're on top and
> perfectly accessible when there is no window...

Really? What OS and windows manager is that, and what toolkit was used
to build Emacs?

> I think we already have a few frame-live-p/frame-visible-p checks in
> menu-bar, they're just not very complete.

Those checks are for completely different situations.  For example, if
there's only one frame, the "Delete Frame" item in the File menu
should be disabled.

In your case, you wrote:

> In a lot of cases, one could do "insert file" or choose stuff from
> the "search" menu even if there were only iconified or hidden frames.

What is wrong with this?  If the Emacs menu bar is visible even if no
frame is, why is it bad that the user can insert a file?

Also, if one clicks on the menu, on the system such as yours,
shouldn't one of the Emacs frame be automatically raised?