Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:25:38 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:10:16 -0800
>
>     Here's one more idea for displaying the bindings (it could also be
>     useful for what display-mode shows): put the help buffer into Outline
>     mode and use Outline-style headings instead of the ^L delimiters.
>     Initially, the display could be collapsed so that only the headings
>     are shown; users then could use Outline commands both for movement
>     between groups of bindings and for showing only those groups they are
>     interested in.
>
> That might be OK, but I believe Outline mode can be a bit scary for
> newbies - it's not always immediately clear how to use it.

We could put some basic instructions at the beginning of the buffer,
like we do in Custom.

Or (gasp) we could put a graphic control that looks like a button with a
`+' character before each heading, which most people will recognize as
a sign that there's something hidden here that will show if one clicks
on the button.

> I think the main problem is the extraneous, uninteresting bindings, which
> you say is a bug. Getting rid of them will be a big help.

What is uninteresting to you and me might be very important to
someone else.  Outline makes it simple to display only what one wants
to see.