Re: Time to install the new icons

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Time to install the new icons
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:38:37 +0900

2005/11/18, Chong Yidong <address@hidden>:
> One last note: since we have a spiffy new icon, how about using it for
> the splash screen?  Andrew, would it be possible to rescale your icon
> to 250 x 200, to replace etc/splash.xpm?

A good icon doesn't necessarily make a good splash screen.  I think
the "notebook motif", while very nice in an icon, would look downright
weird in the splash screen.

If you look at splash screens for typical application, they are
usually very different from the application's icon; usually they seem
to combine: (1) a cool/striking random image (to get the user's
interest), (2) the application's name + version number in big letters,
(3) the application/project's logo, if it has one (often the logo is
somehow incorporated into the "cool image", e.g., a recent Gnome
splash screen has the Gnome "foot" sort of disolving like an antacid
tablet -- it does look pretty cool :-).

Of course, as Andrew did such nice icons, maybe he could make a neat
splash screen too...

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.