RE: Time to install the new icons

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Time to install the new icons
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:38:28 -0800

    http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/NewIcons.html - Andrew
    Zhilin's icons):

If these icons are still open to design, then here is one more opinion,
FWIW:

I like the "cut-off" gnu horns - that is, the ones that look more like an
"E". I think that the more complete horns look too much like an "M" (and
they are less attractive, IMO). The tiny word "emacs" should be dropped,
however.

The notebook is good to have in the larger icons - and maybe also in the
smaller icon (16x16). If it is used in the 16x16 icon, then we are trying to
have it be recognized as a version of the larger-icon notebook. Especially
in that case, but even in general, I think I would prefer that the larger
notebook also be vertical, instead of laid diagonally.

I'm not sure about the use of the color gradient (vs a flat color). The
gradient makes the image slightly harder to discern. It seems to work OK for
the gray icon, but it works less well for the colored ones. Dunno - I'd like
to see it again, with the "E" horns on a vertical notebook, to see if that
works OK.

Finally, I'm not a fan of the shiny 3D button versions (2nd and 3rd in top
row).