Re: Time to install the new icons

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to install the new icons
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 01:03:42 +0200

> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:11:42 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>
> My personal opinion is not most important here. Andrew asked for our
> opinions about this:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-11/msg00974.html
>
> And unfortunately I can not look at the png files in etc/images/icons.

I looked at them with Emacs.

> The copies I have downloaded from CVS are perhaps broken on my. I am
> using w32 and cvsnt from Oct 9 2005. Must something special be done to
> download the images on w32?

I use -kb for all the files, and beyond that didn't need anything
special.  The *.png files are marked -kb anyway, so I cannot imagine
what could be the problem.

> >Let's for now settle for the same scheme as we had before: 32x32 and
> >48x48 for size, and for each size one icon on dark background and one
> >on light background.
> >

> I do not understand your comments about colors. Do you mean that we
> should have one version for light and another dark backgrounds? Or, do
> you say that we have that now?

Both: I say that we have now 32x32 and 48x48 icons, and each one has 2
variants, one each for dark and light background.  And I say that the
new icon, if we accept it, should have the same 4 versions.

> I do not understand your comments about sizes either. Did you perhaps
> forget 16x16? I was just asking about 24x24 to be sure. Was that size
> perhaps needed on another platform than w32?

All I know is that we now have only 32x32 and 48x48 icons in nt/icons.
That means these two sizes are enough to satisfy users' needs on
Windows.  So I asked for the new icon to be of the same sizes.

> The icon from Andrew actually include versions for 256 colors and 32-bit
> colors (which I believe is for xp), but no 24-bit color version.

How many colors we have in nt/icons icons?