Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:21:28 -0600 (CST)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   I do not understand why they are wasteful, but I have added some more
   information which I believe is useful.

Useful to make the node longer and hence get around Richard's
objection?  `customize-apropos' is _already_ described under
`(emacs)Specific Customization', where it belongs.  Your node just
duplicates stuff.

Space in the Emacs manual is at a premium.  With the same amount of
space you want to add one could document useful additional features.

   Maybe customize-apropos should prompt for searching just options, faces
   or groups?

No, one should avoid unnecessary prompts.  One could list the
customize-apropos-* commands in a short sentence in the detailed
description of customize-apropos (rather than in the @item as you
proposed), but I believe that Richard objects against any amount of
space for them.  (But I may be misunderstanding this.)

In as far as finding options is concerned, the best way to find
options is customize-browse.  _That_ is the one we should emphasize.
I have used it since Custom was first included with Emacs and have
never had trouble finding options _except_ when there was trouble with
the individual option: bad group, unclear name, unclear documentation.
(As in the case which started this thread before it went off on a
completely unrelated tangent.)

Sincerely,

Luc.