Re: ChangeLog for tumme.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: ChangeLog for tumme.el
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:12:54 +0100

On 2/7/06, Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> wrote:

> `colloquial', yes. (I had to look that word up)

It's a reasonably common word in Spanish (and with a single "l" ;)

> I get the point. There
> are probably more docstrings whose colloquiality should be
> questioned. :) I will try to make it better.

It was not a comment aimed at you specifically, of course. I was just
thinking of not-totally-useful docstrings. As an example, in
net/newsticker.el there's an internal function
`newsticker--buffer-redraw' whose docstring says:

  "Sometimes (CVS) Emacs forgets to update the window..."

That shouldn't be a comment, I think, but a bug report. And
`newsticker--insert-image' says:

  "[...] This is a work-around for a strange behavior of Emacs
versions before 21.3.50. [...]"

I don't think mentioning 21.3.50 (which is not an official release of
Emacs) in a docstring is a good idea.

> I guess this particular command's usefulness could be questioned
> though. I used it each time I fetch the images from my digital camera,
> but maybe it is a command I should only keep a local copy of?

Perhaps, I don't know. But if it stays, definitely the docstring
should be more general.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u