Re: tumme testing

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: tumme testing
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:21:55 +0100

> > Of course it should be configurable too; personally, file name and size
> > is not interesting to me at all, in most cases.
>
> All thumbnail programs I encountered so far display as minimum the file
> name, size and image dimensions.

One of the tasks I use tumme for is cleaning out bad or unwanted
digital photographs. In that  case, all I am interested in is getting
as many thumbnails as possible in the thumbnail buffer. I scan through
the images, type RET to display some, type `d' to flag unwanted ones
for deletion, rotate some by typing `L' or `R'. When I'm done I jump
to the dired buffer and execute the deletion, maybe add some tag to
all of the marked files (that was still marked since I told tumme to
display them). Maybe I go back to the thumbnail buffer and add tags
specific to each image. This is just one use case of many, of course
and I am sure many people would like to see some data about the file
in the thumbnail buffer, as in your example.

I'm sure it would be possible to do this dynamic/configurable, to
supportboth my "minimalistic" approach and the more verbose one.

> Well.  As the first step, I've added the support for displaying thumbnails
> directly in the dired buffer.  The command `tumme-dired-insert-marked-thumbs'
> is bound to `C-t C-t' and when invoked on the marked files adds thumbnails
> to the dired buffer.  It also takes care of relocating thumbnails after
> refreshing the dired buffer or changing the sorting order with `s'.

Oh? Exciting news, thanks!

You have to excuse me now, I have some `cvs update':ing to do... :)