Re: tumme testing

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: tumme testing
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:45:38 +0200

> Getting the data is not the problem. What I meant was that it might be
> a bit harder to get a good UI layout in a character based
> application. I guess what the parent wanted was something like the
> following:

I imagine a layout like below would be useful and intuitive:

      +--------+     +--------+
      | THUMB  |     | THUMB  |
      |        |     |        |
      +--------+     +--------+
      filename1.jpg  filename1.jpg
      [1600x1200]    [1600x1200]

where [1600x1200] is a link to the full size version.

> Of course it should be configurable too; personally, file name and size
> is not interesting to me at all, in most cases.

All thumbnail programs I encountered so far display as minimum the file
name, size and image dimensions.

>> If not with iimage.el, then at least with `put-image'.  Though `put-image'
>> currently has one drawback: its created overlays don't evaporate when
>> relocated to the beginning of the buffer, because `put-image' doesn't put
>> the property `evaporate' to its overlays.  But adding `evaporate' is not
>> possible because then the overlay evaporates immediately after its creation,
>> since its length is 0 initially, due to (make-overlay pos pos buffer),
>> where `pos pos' creates the 0-length overlay.
>
> I'll take your word for it. :)
>
> So, when will we see your first addition to tumme? :) You have a lot
> of ideas and seem to have technical expertice superior to mine.

Well.  As the first step, I've added the support for displaying thumbnails
directly in the dired buffer.  The command `tumme-dired-insert-marked-thumbs'
is bound to `C-t C-t' and when invoked on the marked files adds thumbnails
to the dired buffer.  It also takes care of relocating thumbnails after
refreshing the dired buffer or changing the sorting order with `s'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/