Re: tumme directory

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: tumme directory
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:29:54 +0200

>> I could send you command examples that produce impressive results.
>> The thumbnail PNG file sizes are much smaller than generated by other
>> programs, but still are readable by them.
>
> Er, can you at least give a hint what you used...?

The first program in the sequence I used was `convert':

  convert -size 128x128 image.jpg -thumbnail 128x128
~/.thumbnails/normal/md5.png

The second was `pngnq'.  It optimizes PNG images using the neural net based
color quantization algorithm.  It can quantize images down to 256 colors
with much better results than other color optimization algorithms.
So, for instance, it can reduce a thumbnail PNG file generated by
`convert' with the size 18995 down to 8280 bytes almost without affecting
the quality of the original image.

The third program was `pngcrush'.  It optimizes the compression trying
various compression levels and selecting the best one.  It reduces the
size of the sample file mentioned above further down to 6877 bytes.

`pngcrush' also can add PNG textual chunks with the information
necessary for other GNU programs that support the Thumbnail Managing Standard
to use them.

All programs are available as Debian packages (imagemagick.deb, pngnq.deb,
pngcrush.deb).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/