Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:03:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Eli!

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:07:54 +0000 (GMT)
>> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>>
>> I've got CC Mode 5.31.3 ready for merging into the Emacs CVS.  First, I
>> should be testing it on an up to date Emacs 22.
>>
>> So, I cvs updated my copy of CVS Emacs this morning.  I followed this
>> with a ./configure and a make bootstrap.  It failed in process.c with a
>> "dereferencing pointer to incomplete type" error, whatever that is.
>> [...]
>> Would somebody cheer me up, please.
>
>How about if you tell us the details, like the precise error message,
>for example?

It was

process.c: In function `conv_sockaddr_to_lisp':
process.c:2245: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
process.c:2246: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
process.c:2249: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
process.c:2249: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
process.c:2249: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
<etc>

The source code in process.c looks like this:
#ifdef AF_INET6
    case AF_INET6:
      {
        struct sockaddr_in6 *sin6 = (struct sockaddr_in6 *) sa;
        uint16_t *ip6 = (uint16_t *)&sin6->sin6_addr;      <======= L2245

All of these places were within #ifdef AF_INET6 regions.  This symbol is
defined in socket.h, and "ls -lu" indicates that my Emacs compiled with
the socket.h in a linux-2.4.17 tree.  It seems that that this socket.h
and Emacs have different ideas about the type sockaddr_in6.  I worked
around this problem by putting #undef AF_INET6 near the top of the file.

Emacs then built immediately! (well, actually, it took nearer 3 hours,
but it managed without further intervention from me.  :-).

However, when I started it up, it complained about this form in my
site-start.el:

    (define-key help-mode-map "\M-n" 'clone-buffer)

I had to wrap this form in an (eval-after-load "help-mode" ....).  Is
this failure to load help-mode at start-up deliberate, or is it a bug?
It used to be loaded, at least as recently as last September.

--
Alan.