Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:52:18 +0200

> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:03:39 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> cc: address@hidden
>
> process.c: In function `conv_sockaddr_to_lisp':
> process.c:2245: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> process.c:2246: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> process.c:2249: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> process.c:2249: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> process.c:2249: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> <etc>
>
> The source code in process.c looks like this:
> #ifdef AF_INET6
>     case AF_INET6:
>       {
>         struct sockaddr_in6 *sin6 = (struct sockaddr_in6 *) sa;
>         uint16_t *ip6 = (uint16_t *)&sin6->sin6_addr;      <======= L2245

This means that the IPv6 configury test is misbehaving.  Please look
into your headers and try to find out why the configure-time test
decides that your system supports IPv6, but `struct sockaddr_in6' is
not defined by your system headers.

> It seems that that this socket.h and Emacs have different ideas
> about the type sockaddr_in6.

They don't have different ideas; your socket.h does not define struct
sockaddr_in6 at all.

> I worked around this problem by putting #undef AF_INET6 near the top
> of the file.
>
> Emacs then built immediately!

Well, that's good for you, but what about all the other users who will
have the same problem?  I'd suggest not to sweep the problem under the
carpet, but rather try to find out what is wrong with the
configure-time test, so that it could be fixed for others as well.

> However, when I started it up, it complained about this form in my
> site-start.el:
>
>     (define-key help-mode-map "\M-n" 'clone-buffer)
>
> I had to wrap this form in an (eval-after-load "help-mode" ....).  Is
> this failure to load help-mode at start-up deliberate, or is it a bug?

I think it's deliberate: why should we load help-mode before Help
commands are used?

Btw, your workaround is not the best way to solve this, I think: each
mode has a mode hook, precisely for these situations.  Just define a
function that binds that key and add that function to help-mode-hook.

> It used to be loaded, at least as recently as last September.

I don't see in the logs anything since last September that could
change this; perhaps I'm blind.