Re: W32 version crashes on C-g

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: W32 version crashes on C-g
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:15:18 -0500

>> using ONE tool-kit (e.g. MinGW), tell _exactly_ where to find the
>> right versions of those tools, libaries, etc. it would be nice.
>
> I don't think we can single out only one toolkit.  We cannot dictate
> people what compiler and development tools to use, as they might have
> goals other than just building Emacs.

On the other hand, it's simply frustrating to be told: "to set up a
build environment, use either MSVC, or cygwin GCC, or MingW GCC, and
one of several possible versions of make, with or without bash, and we
won't tell you whether or not to use MSYS"... then, when you choose
some combination of these components, you get a build failure.

I support the idea of having a "default" build environment that we can
suggest people use if they want something that Just Works.  Like Kim
suggested, the INSTALL file could explain exactly how to set up this
default environment.  After that, we can go into details about the
other configurations that also work, for those who are interested.