Re: Display feature request: gud-overlay-arrow

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Display feature request: gud-overlay-arrow
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:01:03 -0500

>> I guess it would be easier to do if we had a "post-switch-buffer-hook" that
>> is called (after post-command-hook) whenever a new buffer is selected
>> in the command loop.
>>
>> I really don't like the idea that Emacs could run hooks when switching
>> buffers.  It would make things rather uncontrollable.
>
> Why it would do?
> I think `post-switch-buffer-hook' may be quite useful.
> e.g. we can give different colors for different buffers.

I don't understand how those three points of view relate to each other.
I strongly suspect that you all three talk about something very different.
Here is my guess at what's happening:

- Yamamoto wants a set-display-buffer-hook.
- Richard is afraid of the idea of set-buffer-hook.
- Kim suggested yet some other kind of hook.  I'm not sure what it's
  supposed to do and how/when/why someone would use it, based on
  his description.  All I understand is that it would be called at most
  once per command and only if "a new buffer is selected", tho it's no clear
  what might have caused this change (the command, presumably?) and whether
  he's talking about a change in (current-buffer) or in (window-buffer
  (selected-window)).

-- Stefan