Re: Icon update

From: Leon
Subject: Re: Icon update
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:41:14 +0100

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'm not trained in the use of toolbars, so could you explain what's odd
>>> about it?
>>>

>>>         Stefan
>> Hi Stefan,
>> The diropen icon won't change at all for any gnome-icon-theme since
>> there is no counterpart. This gives the tool-bar an inconsistent
>> look.
>
> For example, some themes use bigger icons.  But since the stock item
> gtk-directory isn't available, the standard icon distributed with
> emacs is used, so it looks odd.  Also, if some theme has some visual
> property (like high contrast), the diropen icon will not follow this
> theme.
>
> I've attached some screenshots of these situations.  I think before we
> release this we need to find stock items for everything.  In Info mode
> there are also icons that don't have any stock definition, so arrows
> may look differently.
>
>       Jan D.

Thank you for explaining this.

Handling icons is more complicated in emacs than in anything
else. Maybe some gtk programmers can point out a solution or maybe we
can create a set of universal icons like nvu and openoffice. We can
also publish a guideline of creating icons for emacs so that package
writers can follow. And in the end emacs will have a consistent look!

--
Leon