Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:01:32 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I think my request for down-events on the tool-bar is related to some other
>> people's requests to be able to bind different actions for mouse-1, mouse-2,
>> mouse-3.
>>
> Another interface I have seen that having a down-event would enable is
> to execute a common action on normal clicking of the button, but if
> the mouse button is held down for around 1 - 2 seconds, then a menu
> appears with less common related actions.

Context menus on mouse-3 are rather common.  I think that we should
aim for Emacs 22 to just provide the "customary" Emacs keymap model on
toolbar buttons: it is sort of an "element of least surprise"
expectation.  Even though we should not start any user interface
experiments actually _using_ that possibility right now ourselves.
But I think it should be available for the taking.