Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:28:18 -0500

        >> Is such behavior normal in tool bars in other user interfaces?
        >> If not, I think we should not do it.

    Why not? It's often good to stick to "normal", "standard", or common UI
    features so that users know what to expect. But what's the harm in providing
    functionality where the common UIs have none?

You're missing the point.  You're proposing we implement the capacity
to provide a certain kind of GUI feature.  Before we do that, I want
to know whether users expect or want that kind of feature in GUIs.  If
they don't, let's save the trouble of writing and maintaining code to
implement it.