Re: overflow pure space

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: overflow pure space
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:01:25 +0900

> The question is not what caused the recent addition to the pure
> space, the question is why some people see overflow, while others
> don't, on the same platform.

Maybe I'm not completely following the related threads, but at least
one can see such a difference as follows:

$ make bootstrap
-> 1210372 pure bytes used

$ cd lisp
$ make bootstrap-clean
$ make compile EMACS=../src/emacs
$ cd ..
$ make clean
$ make
-> 1209036 pure bytes used
(on Mac OS X 10.4.7, X11)

I observed that .elc's compiled by bootstrap-emacs have `dolist'
expanded by cl.el, whereas those compiled by emacs have
subr.el-version.  Actually, bootstrap-emacs loads cl.el via preloaded
.el files that contain (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)), where
`eval-when-compile' just behaves like `progn'.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden