Re: Using quail input methods to translate buffer text.

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Using quail input methods to translate buffer text.
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:50:24 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Peter Heslin <address@hidden> writes:

>> It still doesn't work for chinese-py.  For instance, typing
>> "bei2" should input "北", but quail-conv doesn't handle the
>> last "2" correctly.

> Ah, thanks.  I think I've fixed this bug, but I'm not sure my fix is
> correct.  I have assumed that each compound character sequence may be
> followed by at most a single digit, and that this digit is used to
> access the relevant vector like so: "1" gets the 0th element, "2" gets
> the 1st ..., "9" gets the 8th, and "0" gets the 9th.  Does that sound
> right?

> PY.el says: "(each group contains at most 10 characters)", which I take
> to mean that the index number following each group is never more than a
> single digit.  Are there other input methods where this is not true?

That's not accurate.  See the variable
quail-translation-keymap.  A user can select the next/prev
group by typing C-n/C-p.  In addition, several input methods
(including chinese-py) remembers the last selection.  So, to
get a constant result, we must reset the indices of last
selected translation, which requires modifying contents of
(quail-map).

I think it's not worth working on quail-conv to make it work
correctly for all cases.  How about just make it work well
for simple input methods (i.e. ones that (quail-simple)
return t) and reject complicated input methods.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden