Re: Emacs geometry

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs geometry
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 06:26:35 +0300

> From: Sridhar Boovaraghavan <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:21:26 +0000 (UTC)
>
> I am using the latest CVS emacs on Windows XP. It is compiled using VS 2002.
> This problem has recently started occurring. New frames in emacs are now
> offset
> (by about a line both horizontally and vertically) from the existing frame.
> Previously, all frames used to be offset +0+0 from the left-top corner of the
> screen (i.e no offsetting was taking place).

With "emacs -Q", this is the intended behavior: the latest changes let
the system locate the Emacs frame.  The original cause for the change
was to avoid locating the Emacs frame in the portions of the screen
occupied by the task bar and other decorations.

> My Emacs.geometry registry entry used to specify 80x48. I tried
> 80x48+0+0, but got the same behavior as before.
>
> Is there a new setting that I need to use or is this "by design" that others
> are
> also encountering? If it is the latter, what is the setting that would cause
> all
> frames not to exhibit offsetting?

Setting the geometry in the default-frame-alist should work.  However,
you should be able to set the geometry in the registry as well.
Please provide the details--what are your settings in the registry,
when did you last resync with the CVS, and how to reproduce the
problem with "emacs -Q".