Re: Emacs geometry

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Emacs geometry
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:20:42 +0200

* Drew Adams (2006-07-25) writes:

> I understand the motivation, but I, for one, don't like this improvement one
> bit. I don't remember seeing this design change discussed, BTW.

Look in emacs-pretest-bug.  The thread is called "startup frame
position".

> First, `default-frame-alist' should be rigorously respected - it seems to be
> ignored wrt position now.

Have you checked with the current source?

> There should be a default value for top, left = 0,0, as before. Anything
> else seems weird and unnatural.

Not one of the applications on Windows I know opens at (0,0).  They
either let the window manager do the placement or open with the
geometry they had in their last session.  That means opening at (0,0)
is rather weird an unnatural.

The cascading behavior there is now might need some love because Emacs
ends up for too often at the bottom of the screen.  But this looks
like a bug in the window manager.

> Here is the version I was testing:
>
> In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600)
>  of 2006-07-19 on BOS-CTHEWLAP2

Could you try with a more recent version?

--
Ralf